Native American Medicine Wheel
continued from page 1
Making your personal medicine wheel
Directional Tumbled Stones Medicine Wheel
For a small portable Medicine Wheel that we will be building, the most common stones used are tumbled gemstones or crystal points. I recommend using:
If you wish to use ordinal stones as well, I suggest using tumbled clear quartz stones for all four of the ordinal directions.
includes 9 stones, bag, instructions
And finally, you can set up a Wheel made entirely of clear quartz crystals. Use crystal points for each cardinal direction. If you desire to have ordinal stones as well, use smaller points.
For the center use a standing crystal point or crystal ball that is larger than any of the other crystals. All of the crystals, except for the center point, should be placed with their points pointing outwards, away from the center stone which should be pointing upwards.
includes (4) 2" points, (4) 1" points, 1 standing crystal point, bag, instructions
Setting up a Medicine Wheel:
To set up your Wheel, in addition to your medicine stones, you will also need to have a cloth of natural fibers (silk, cotton, etc.), and a compass. You should choose a quiet space in which to work with your Medicine Wheel. You may also wish to light candles, burn incense, or play soft music while you do your work.
- After you have gathered your materials and chosen which stones you wish to work with, the first step in setting up a Medicine Wheel is to spread the cloth over your work surface.
- Next, place the center stone in the middle of the cloth.
- Your wheel should be set up in proper alignment with the Earth. Using a compass, place the cardinal direction stones in their proper places around the center stone about 6 inches away from it. Place them in this order: East, West, South, North. If a compass is not readily available, determine where the Sun rises and sets and this will give you an approximation of where east and west are.
- Orienting your wheel in alignment with the Earth will most likely cause your wheel to be in misalignment with your work space, meaning your north stone will not be positioned at the ''top" of the wheel, but rather in the North. If you wish to face the wheel so that the north stone is at the top, south is at the bottom, and the east and west stones are on the right and left respectively, then change where you are sitting. Sit facing North with the south stone directly in front of you.
- If you wish to also use ordinal stones, use the compass to place them in their proper places on the Medicine Wheel, or simply place them about halfway in between each of the cardinal directions. Place them in this order: south-east, south-west, north-west, north-east.
You may also choose to place on the Medicine Wheel other items representing different aspects of each direction. For example, you can place next to each directional stone a small animal figurine made of natural material, such as stone, to represent the totem animal for each direction (see table above for the list of totems).
Or you may wish to place items on your Medicine Wheel to represent each of the Elements. For example, you could put a lit candle next to the east stone to represent Fire, a small glass, ceramic or gemstone bowl of earth (ie; dirt) by the west stone to represent Earth, a small glass, ceramic or gemstone bowl of water in the south to represent Water, and a burning smudge stick or incense by the north stone to represent Air. You could also use a bird feather to represent Air. Place a large white candle in the center of the Wheel next to the center stone to represent Ether.
Alternately, a simpler way to represent the elements on your Wheel, which is easier to set up or travel with, is to place the stones mentioned earlier which represent each Element next to your directional stones. Or, you can even choose to use just the elemental stones by themselves to represent the cardinal directions.
Let your intuition guide you as you create your personal medicine wheel. The above are suggestions, but you can use the stones or crystals that you feel drawn to. Use the table below with the links below to find:
|Table of some directional qualities:|
||COYOTE or MOUSE
||EAGLE or HAWK
||BISON or WOLF
|TIME OF DAY
|PLANE OF EXISTENCE
||LIGHT, LOVE, LAW, LIFE
Copyright 2010 www.crystal-cure.com. This article may not be reprinted or published without permission from Emily Gems.